Studying the traffic on the six Donut websites always reflects the times we live in. Searches for advice on running a business have surged since the start of the pandemic. Information on the government support schemes, guidance on how to become COVID-compliant, clever ways to adapt a business – all these topics have, naturally, been incredibly popular.
We’ve also seen a significant spike in traffic for content on setting up a business. That’s no surprise. In times of economic hardship, entrepreneurship often thrives – the 2008 financial crash was the catalyst for a huge increase in the numbers of self-employed workers in the UK. Now, the coronavirus pandemic has given many of us pause for thought on how we make our livings and live our lives.
The single most popular article of last year was our blog on the top ten new business ideas during the pandemic. While many businesses have sadly closed and the number of freelancers has dipped alarmingly, it looks as if the appetite for starting a business has not diminished. This could be the year that you start a business of your own.
Here are the most popular blogs of 2020, a year we’ll never forget.
- Our guidance on starting a business, including many traditional enterprises, has been more popular than ever. Top ten new business ideas during COVID-19
- While COVID-19 has closed many doors, there are always opportunities for creative thinkers. New business ideas during COVID-19
- Handy advice now we are post-Brexit, this blog outlines all your options for opening a business account if you are not a UK resident. UK business bank accounts – your options as a non-resident
- More handy advice, with the self assessment deadline looming in January. Who needs a UTR number, anyway?
- Although many freelancers have fallen through the cracks when it comes to government support, many are eligible for the Self Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS). COVID-19 support for the self employed
- Car-related business ideas have seen a surge of interest ‘ from driving schools and taxi driving to valeting firms. Ten new business ideas for car enthusiasts and petrolheads
- Getting found online has never been more important. Three ways to make Google Ads more manageable
- And small firms have been upping their game on social media to connect with customers. How to take advantage of Instagram Reels for your business
- Treat your customers like friends and family – marketing COVID-style. COVID-19: Three essential marketing tips for dealing with the crisis
- We’re not out of the woods yet. This was written at the start of the pandemic but the advice is as useful as ever as tier restrictions and lockdowns continue. 17 ways small firms can use time wisely during the COVID-19 lockdown
This post was brought to you by Start Up Donut – one of six Donut websites offering practical help and advice to help businesses succeed.